Thinking of Retiring on the Eastern Shore? Think of Salisbury’s Newtown—a GREAT place to retire!
If you are making retirement plans and searching for a place on Maryland’s Eastern Shore where real estate is affordable and there’s plenty to do, then consider Newtown. You will be surprised by the asking prices of gracious historic homes in top condition on our market. Or perhaps you want to renovate one into the customized home you’ve always dreamed of. If you’ve looked at properties on the Upper Shore or in the beach towns such as Easton, St. Michaels, Chestertown or Lewes and Rehoboth, you know those areas don’t offer many bargains.
Consider the other part of Maryland’s Eastern Shore—the Lower Eastern Shore—with its charming towns. Among them, Salisbury, particularly the Newtown neighborhood, offers a vibrant, charming, and cost-effective option with lots of appeal for retirees:
- Midway between the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic on the Eastern Shore, Salisbury is well located for beach-going, sailing, boating, water sports, and fishing. Golf courses are affordable. Organized groups run, dance, race sailboats, play music, garden, take bus trips, volunteer at historic properties, and bird-watch in the nearby flyways and coastal marshlands. If you want to retire to a place with active, like-minded people, Salisbury has much to offer.
- Salisbury is a university community with the engaging educational and vibrant cultural offerings you expect. Salisbury University’s Center for Lifelong Learning schedules a wide range of intellectually challenging course offerings for all ages.
- Salisbury is a social community with retirees from near and far re-settling here and sharing their interests and activities.
- Salisbury is the largest town on the Delmarva Peninsula and supports restaurants and shopping not available in smaller towns. The downtown area is experiencing renaissance.
- Salisbury is near Ocean City and the world-famous, magnificent beaches of Assateague National Seashore and Chincoteague Island, Virginia. It’s also near interesting beach towns such as historic Lewes, Delaware, and is within easy driving distance of Norfolk, Williamsburg, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, and Baltimore.
- Salisbury’s airport is the only FAA airport on the Eastern Shore and is served by American Airlines with regularly scheduled flights.
- Salisbury’s Peninsula Regional Medical Center is the largest medical facility on the Eastern Shore and is affiliated with Johns Hopkins Medical System.
- Newtown, in walking distance of Salisbury’s revitalizing downtown, is one of the city’s oldest neighborhoods and its first historic district. Newtown’s neighborhood Association has been a guiding presence since the 1970s.
- Newtown was built by many of Salisbury’s first citizens, including a governor, mayors, doctors, lawyers, and successful businessmen. Their gracious homes are mostly intact, and while many have been restored, some are in need of creative renovation. Special programs are available to help finance rehabilitation and restoration as part of the purchase mortgage. Your real estate agent can advise on these options. See our resources page for links to local realtors.
- Newtown is a diverse community with families of different ages and backgrounds. It’s a great place to live for an active retirement!
Contact us! —a Newtown resident would be delighted to talk to you!